Friday, October 29, 2010

When God speaks, I listen.

I can't believe I have a stress fracture in my right tibia (not the side of my wonderful hip replacement, the other one). This is my very busy time at work, and in the beginning of October I was running around like crazy preparing for 3 major events, along with all my normal seminars/classes, personal workouts, swim class, etc; and it overstressed my tibia, so it decided to crack. The pain in my right shin soon became unbearable and after a weekend of swelling and constant pain , I saw Dr. Steven Kulik here at GSH first thing next morning. After my diagnosis, he stressed--No exercise, no swim clases, no tai chi, no driving and light duty work for at least a month, but maybe 6 weeks. And if I did not let this heal this would haunt me the rest of my life! So is this God's way of telling me to slow down or what? That's my take-so I've re-assess alot of things. One of which is the fact that in spite of all my denial, I truly am 56 and my body is not 25 anymore. I'm not ready, AT ALL, for the rocking chair but will pace myself a little differently, work more efficiently, ask for help more often, and take more time to relax a little more. I'm just finishing my second week with this ball-n-chain boot cast, having my husband "drive Ms. Daisy" around everywhere, bumming rides like a hitch-hiker, getting to work with the crowing roosters, and missing exercise like crazy. I feel aerobically dead and my joints are desperately desiring some warm water workouts. I get up to the Good Health Center and spin the windjammer around for 10-12 minutes to work the heart and lungs at bit; lift weights for the upper body every couple days; and do some seated tai chi breathing and yoga as much as possible. I'm sleeping in during my usual workout time each morning and look forward I to my am workout routine once free and clear to exercise again. In the meantime, I'm catching up on alot of my "office work", planning, reading, resting, eating and watching the dust balls grow in my house. This weekend after working the health fair, I'm looking forward to eating crabs with friends, and a long ride out in the country seeking apples and enjoying the beautiful autumnal array of colors. Have I slowed down or what????? Happy Halloween to ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment