Monday, October 18, 2010

A Little Set-back...Time to Re-Assess

Well last post I talked about my crazy busy fall season and darned if I didn't have a big snafu thrown in my plans. Somehow in these post couple weeks I sustained a right tibial stress fracture and am in a bootcast for 4-6 weeks and cannot drive, exercise, teach tai chi or my arthritis aquatics, golf or do much of anything. I am hitching rides to and from work whenever possible and must be very diligent and compliant with my recovery or this will haunt me the rest of my life. And these stress fractures hurt! This boot really cramps my style, but I gotta stick it out, and I really get irritable if I don't exercise! After my pity party the first couple days, I thought about lots of things, i.e. What kind of shape are my bones in? Why did my tibia fracture...I eat right and exercise all the time? I better start taking my Calcium and Vit D diligently? Am I really getting of the age where I need to slow down? Am I gonna need a lot of help and people to ride me to work for at least a month? WOW!
I have resumed my Calcium and vit D everyday even though I eat right and exercise regularly, realizing that at my age that's just not enough. I've rearranged my schedule, cancelling the events I cannot attend and postponing others until able. Getting rides to/from work remains a creative strategy, but working out. I'm lifting weights to keep my upper body strength up & core exercises while sitting and watching TV, and using the Aerodyne machine in the Good Health Center here at GSH to maintain some aerobic endurance. But I don't have any answer to the "age of slowing down" question yet...that one I'll face later...

No comments:

Post a Comment