Monday, April 26, 2010

Over did it...Now Paying the Price!

Oh well! They say that a good thing doesn't last forever and I guess it's true. In my last post I bragged about the 3.5mile walk in under 55 minutes and how great I felt. I also touted how this was the longest power walk I had done since way before the hip surgery...3 years ago! Well, that little walk, a couple weeks later, along with all the other exercise proved to be my undoing. Let me explain. First of all, here at Good Samaritan Hospital we have this wonderful wellness program every spring called "Strides for Life". Basically its a contest, where teams of 3 compete for the most points accumulated in exercise and weight loss. New this year is an EXTREME level where each person much complete a minimun of 375 minutes of exercies per week or they lose points. The contest started in March and runs until Memorial Day. Well that night of the walk, my aquatics class was cancelled due to the water main break Towson area was experiencing so I panicked wondering how I was going to get my needed 60 minutes of fitness in...so I grabbed my husband ans told him we were taking a power walk for an hour. That walk was absolutely too much on my hip bursa with all of that repetitive motion, for an hour along with all the the other exercise stress I was putting on myself so now I have bursitis, tendonitis and my I-T band (ileotibial band) is all inflammed. The pain is quite intense, so I am back on celebrex, had a cortisone shot in my bursa last friday and am scheduling some Physical Therapy sessions for pain and to learn what exercises I can/cannot do. So, suffice it to say my glorious bionic hip replacement bubble has been busted (only temporary though), and I have to scale back a bit. I am still exercising but at a more mild/moderate level and will continue to do so unless medically contraindicated. I want to stay in shape and of course, stay in the Strides competition. Oh...did I mention MY TEAM IS IN FIRST PLACE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment