Friday, May 1, 2009

My New Hip: Exiting recuperation time...re-entering normal life!

Back from the beach...down there 2 1/2 weeks with only 4 days of sunshine but it was great! Spent alot of time walking, exercising and enjoying the new OC library. It is now 7 weeks since my hip replacement. Had my 6-week check up and I am now released from the imprisonment of those hip precautions! Feels so good to cross my legs, bend over, twist and not sleep with a pillow between my legs. I'm so much stronger now...exercising religiously has really paid off and made me stronger--just doing the prescribed exercises from the hospital takes about 40 minutes each day but it is so worth it. Weather permitting I am walking about a mile or more each day...not up to 2 miles yet! I even rode a surrey bike on the boardwalk last week for an hour...but that might have been a bit much because I had quite a bit of pain the rest of the day. My normal life is returning at a normal pace now. I am back doing exercise videos (the beginner wimpy ones but that's okay) and even walking 75% of the time without my cane! My t'ai chi training has really served my well in my recovery period...the leg strength and balance has been easier to regain because of it. I am attending a gala this evening for a short time and may even try to dance just a little. If it wasn't for my afternoon fatigue I would almost be back to my normal self. But I have been reassured by my wonderful medical staff that it takes about 6 months or more before you feel yourself again. Well I am on my way and am almost ready to return to work for at least half-days on May 11! Welcome back me!

No comments:

Post a Comment