Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sleepless in Baltimore...

Pardon the unoriginal title of this post but it so appropriate! I am, I guess, finally in the throws of menopause (it's about time don't you thing at 56), and the worst symptom is not sleeping. I take melatonin and it works sometimes, and sleeping pills very judiciously, but when you wake up at 2:30 in the morning and stay up for the remainder of that day, its the pits. This has been going on for about a month now and the cumulative effect is really getting to me. I don't even feel safe driving. I can't even form complete sentences and my memory is mush. Performing at peak level during the week is out of the question and forget exercise....that has really diminished, but I am trying to do a little something each day. So- anyone out there want to offer up any solutions so I can get some sleep!

3 comments:

  1. I wish there was an easy answer but unfortunately there isn't one. I started the journey at age 42 and now at age 54 I have crested the mountain. Heredity ... what can I say.
    I am not an advocate of hormone replacement therapy but there are other medications that can help. There are also homeopathic drugs but they are not usually FDA approved. Sounds like a good time for a heart to heart with your doctors.
    I recommend trying to get some exercise in early in the day so your endorphins are not having a party while you are trying to get ready for bed. Since menopause has broken my thermostat for ever I keep a fan on my desk at work and by my bed at night for my personal Caribbean vacations.
    Keep extra pj's and pillow cases close at hand so you don't have to find them during the night when yours get soaked.
    Eat well, get some exercise even if it is just a walk during lunch and make sure you get plenty of water during the day.Besides staying cool with the fan at night it also provides a great source of white noise.
    I wish you well though your journey and I hope it is a short one. Ohhh ... have your husband hide the kitchen knifes when the mood swings start (just kidding!).
    Take care, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen-I'm happy to have found your blog! I am 30 years old, a new mom to a 3 month old little boy, and about to have my hip replaced! Yes, I am still somewhat in shock. I have Lupus and it has pretty much destroyed my right hip joint. It is good to hear of all the things you are able to do after your surgery :) Thanks for sharing-Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alison--thanks for the post. Congrats on the birth of your new son! Sorry to hear about your hip, and your Lupus but you sound very empowered and resist letting this get the best of you. Its a journey and you'll have some definite bumps in the road, try to keep a good perspective and remember that little boy needs you! I am hear for you for whatever you need...I have lots of knowledge as a nurse, but most importantly as a patient!

    ReplyDelete